Prepay Service Agreement
Eligibility / Sign-up
MTEMC offers a prepaid metering option (“Prepay”) to any member who has residential electric service, except for:
1) accounts on variable billing
2) accounts with loans attached
3) accounts with service requirements greater than 200 amps
4) accounts on the medical necessity (“Life Support”) program.
To receive Prepay service, an Advanced Meter Infrastructure (AMI) meter will be required. MTEMC will provide the required AMI meter.
- Any new member electing to sign up for Prepay service will pay a $45.00 set-up fee consisting of the following: $5.00 membership and $40.00 initiation.
- Additionally, an initial minimum energy purchase of $50.00 will be required to start service.
- For existing members, any deposit associated with the account will first be applied to all past and current charges. Any remaining deposit balance will then be applied to the Prepay account as a credit toward future energy purchases.
- The account must have a minimum of $50.00 in the account toward future energy purchases at the time of setup.
- If after the deposit is applied to all past and current charges the member has an unpaid balance, the unpaid balance may be eligible for an arrangement at setup, with the understanding that future payments will be distributed with 50% to unpaid balance and 50% toward future energy purchase.
- The Prepay account will be calculated on a daily basis.
- The member acknowledges and agrees that no monthly billing statements will be mailed.
- The following options are available for the member to make payments and/or check Prepay balances 24 hours a day: online at www.MTEMC.com, the myMTEMC app (available in Apple and Google Play stores), and via phone at 1-877-777-9020.
- Members may also make payments and check balances at any local MTEMC office during normal business hours.
- Automatic bank draft payments are not available with the Prepay service. However, the member may schedule payments through the methods listed above.
- Energy Assistance or other types of assistance will be applied to the prepaid account only upon receipt.
- If a returned check or electronic chargeback is received on the account, the amount of the return and a return fee of $25 will be charged to the member’s account immediately. If this causes the credit balance to be entirely depleted, service may be disconnected on the same business day.
- The member agrees to allow MTEMC to notify the member via myMTEMC when the account is below $25.00; however, maintaining a credit balance on the account, and checking such balances, is the responsibility of the member.
- No paper bills or notices will be mailed to the member once enrolled with a Prepay account.
- A Prepay account will be subject to disconnection any time the account has a zero or negative balance. If payment is made after normal business hours, service will be reconnected at such time that the payment has been fully processed.
- Medical conditions and/or inclement weather will not postpone disconnection.
Termination of Service
- A Prepay member may elect to opt out of the Prepay service at any time with the understanding that MTEMC may require full payment of the account balance and/or a deposit as a condition of continued electric service. The required deposit amount will be based on the member’s credit risk pursuant to MTEMC’s Schedule of Rules and Regulations.
- If the member requests to terminate service, any remaining credit balance will be refunded once all debt has been cleared. The refund will be mailed in the form of a check to a forwarding address. Please allow 2 weeks processing time for reimbursement once the account has been terminated.
- Except as modified herein, MTEMC’s Schedule of Rules and Regulations apply.
- The Prepay service program is subject to change, and MTEMC reserves the right to modify or terminate the program at any time.